15 May 2010

eModEngl

For my Early Modern English course my last semester at BYU, we had to write a research paper and do a creative project on any topic we chose regarding Early Modern English. For those who are not aware, the Early Modern period was 1500 through 1800. For my creative project I decided to write a sonnet in imitation of a Shakespeare sonnet, and then wrote a few pages discussing the similarities of the two. I focused specifically on Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 when I wrote mine. It's quite ridiculous, as many sonnets are, and not up to Shakespeare's standard by any means, but I thought I would share it with you.

Your love, it withered and I watched it die
As though it were a garden in the sun,
Which never felt the skies upon it cry;
Bloomed not the blooms but withered one by one.
It was, long past, a sparkling, golden star
That twinkled through the darkness of the night,
But when she left and loved thee from afar
It faded till it was the dimmest light.
Your love not loved, now only palest prayer
To those on high who helped you through the pain
Of unrequited love; though once was there
Now gone for good, and all your love is vain.
To love again? Not likely, but a while
Must pass before new love upon thee smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment