05 September 2010

The Supreme Act of Forgiveness

Our Relief Society lesson today was on healing. Apparently last week's lesson was on suffering, so it was kind of a follow up. It was something I needed to hear, and it made me think about a lot of things that were already on my mind: A talk I gave in May. Lessons in Jerusalem. Sacrament hymns.

The idea of being made whole is intriguing. Howard W. Hunter said that both spiritual and physical healing are necessary for healing to be complete. And every time Christ uses that phrase, it is almost always preceded by the concept of faith. Thy faith hath made thee whole.

Elder Bednar taught, "As you and I come to understand and employ the enabling power of the Atonement in our personal lives, we will pray and seek for strength to change our circumstances rather than praying for our circumstances to be changed. We will become agents who "act" rather than objects that are "acted upon" (In the Strength of the Lord Oct 2001).

Richard G. Scott said, "Remember, much like the mending of the body, the healing of spiritual and emotional challenges takes time" (Ensign, May 1996, 26).

Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as though wouldst be
E'en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit's grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee." (Joseph L. Townsend, Hymn #185)


I love Mark 5:21-43. I feel like that story embodies these ideas perfectly. And that's when I first really took those lessons into my own life. Capernaum.

No comments:

Post a Comment