11 September 2011

More Substance

A lot of things have been said about this, the tenth anniversary of the attacks on the Twin Towers in New York, the Pentagon in DC, and the plane crash in Pennsylvania (forgive me, I do not remember where specifically this occurred). I've been thinking about how it defined us as a nation, parts of us better, parts of us worse. I've been thinking about that morning and the bus ride to school, how everyone was talking about it and I sat listening and staring out the window. I've been thinking about the brief conversation I had with my piano teacher that afternoon. I've been thinking about my trip to the Newseum in March and how my siblings have little to no memory of that day. How in later years my children and grandchildren will ask me about it for school assignments like I did with World War II, Vietnam, or JFK's assassination. What will I tell them?

The New York Times did a lovely memorial entitled The Reckoning: America and the World a Decade After 9/11. Please spend some time in it. It is beautifully designed, and thoughtfully put together. I particularly appreciated the piece entitled "In Love with Death." It was a good reminder of the feelings we all had ten years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment