27 June 2011

Come and see me and we'll brush up on bad habits

I did not hear my alarm this morning. This is the second time in two days.

Not good.


I think it's partially because I've become incredibly lazy since leaving BYU. Let's review the last 18 months of my life, shall we?


January 2010: Begin final semester of school (15 credits). Begin dating a boy. Complete three grad school applications. Work 20 hour weeks. Completely booked schedule 8--5 daily. Fill evenings/weekends with boy, homework, roommates, (very rarely) reading.

February 2010: Begin selling my soul to Stowaway. Begin applying to summer jobs. Receive Emerson acceptance; worry about decision. Continue dating a boy. Continue working 20 hour weeks. Continue completely booked schedule 8--5 daily. Fill evenings/weekends with boy, homework, roommates, (very rarely) reading.

March 2010: Begin to panic about my IS course that is rapidly nearing its deadline. Begin major sociolinguistics project. Completely sell my soul to Stowaway. Break up with a boy. Receive NYU acceptance; worry about decision. Continue applying to summer jobs. Continue working 20 hour weeks. Continue completely booked schedule now 8--6 or 7 daily. Fill evenings/weekends with homework, Stowaway, (rarely) roommates, (very very rarely) reading.

April 2010: Continue completely booked schedule now 8--10 or 11 daily. Continue working 20 hour weeks. Finish IS course in two weeks with -5 days to spare. Finish sociolinguistics project with three hours to spare. Finish three rounds of proofreading changes for Stowaway with two days to spare. Finish all other projects and papers by the skin of my teeth. Finish five finals. Do not fill evenings/weekends as they no longer exist. Graduate. Find a summer job. Make a decision (Emerson).


And here's where things change (drastically) . . .

May 2010: Quit work at IS. Begin work at InfoTrax. Play with roommates and Spokane boys.

June 2010: Continue work at InfoTrax. Look for Boston housing. Attend weddings. Visit home. Play with roommates and Spokane boys.

July 2010: Continue working at InfoTrax. Look for Boston housing. Attend weddings. Play with roommates and Spokane boys.

August 2010: Continue working at InfoTrax. Find Boston housing. Attend weddings. Pack. Quit InfoTrax. Play with roommates and Spokane boys. Move to Boston.

September 2010: Start evening classes. Look for a job. Explore Boston. Visit Washington DC.

October 2010: Continue classes. Look for a job. Explore Boston. Visit New York.

November 2010: Continue classes. Look for a job. Explore Boston. Visit Washington DC.

December 2010: Finish classes. Look for a job. Explore Boston. Home for Christmas.

January 2011: Visit Provo. Beat a snowstorm. Start evening classes + internship. Look for a job.


Now this is where things pick up again . . .

February 2011: Continue classes + internship. Find a job. Start a job.

March 2011: Continue classes + internship. Work 40 hour weeks. Continue completely booked schedule 8:30--11 daily. Visit Washington DC. Fill weekends (no evenings) with homework, roommates, (very rarely) reading.

April 2011: Continue classes + internship. Continue working 40 hour weeks. Continue completely booked schedule 8:30--11 daily. Begin Salman Rushdie paper (and obsession). Visit New York. Visit Connecticut. Fill weekends (no evenings) with homework, roommates, (very rarely) reading.

May 2011: Finish classes + internship. Finish Salman Rushdie paper with eight minutes to spare. Develop nasty cold. Continue working 40 hour weeks. 


But then another downhill spiral . . .

June 2011: Continue working 40 hour weeks. Visit home.

That time that slowed down between May 2010 and March 2011 was too long. Almost a year not filled with an insane schedule, and the two months back wasn't enough to get me to focus. So I'm back to wasting tremendous amounts of time.

Blast.


Good news is, one week until the insanity starts again. And this time it won't end until May 2012.

Here's hoping I survive it.

4 comments:

  1. Since I graduated and moved to Portland, my days are work, sometimes cook, and crash in front of TV. My weekends are full of cramming every leisure activity I can into two days.

    PS—Do you use a PC? Because I can understand not wanting to use a hyphen when giving time parameters, because you're supposed to use an en-dash. But on PCs, as opposed to Macs, en-dashes are hard to come by. I love Macs for their easy en-dash access.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, I'm glad you caught that. Blogger won't let me use en and em dashes (yes, I'm on a PC). It drives me nuts. Sometimes I'll copy and paste them from Word, but other times I'm just too lazy. But I also can't handle substituting hyphens, so I opt for two.

    Crazy prescriptive editor personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't you just do ALT+0151? I demand on full em dashes—which luckily is easy to do on Macs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you really go to multiple weddings in June, July and August?

    ReplyDelete